Monday, November 17, 2008

It's Foraculous!

Two things that I never thought I would be doing after graduating from college were getting married and going back to school. But lo and behold I’m getting married next month and taking the GRE this Friday. My plans after college were to pay off all of my school debt and continue to study Arabic in Syria for a year or so; but fate would have it otherwise, and I would not want it any other way. Maggie and I like to call our being together a little between fortuitous and miraculous—or as we have phrased it “foraculous.” Maggie has been this beam of hope in my life and I cannot imagine my life without her. Anyway, any one who can put up with my obsession with Pink Floyd, baseball and the NY Yankees, the Middle East, The Simpsons, and Mel Brooks’ films and Horror movies, not to mention that I lived at a mortuary for two-years, worked at a cemetery, and now work the graveyard shift, and gave her mono, and she still loves me—all I can say is I am one lucky person and she is the most wonderful person in the whole entire world!

8 comments:

mags said...

I'm pretty lucky too, ya know. I mean, how many people are actually interested in listening to a librarian talk ad nauseam about book history and Victorian literature? On the first date?

That doesn't mean I'll be watching any horror films any time soon, though....

Anonymous said...

Brother or as Wyatt would say Gonny!!
I wish you the best of luck in your marriage with Maggie. Remember that she is the boss and you are her co-worker:) haha thats funny. Maggie welcome to the family!

Brian said...

Welcome to the family...or forthcoming welcome to the family. This is Maggie's (uh...melissa...or uh...) favorite cousin named Smith who is not Kristi. Take it from me...taking the GRE is crazy, but going to grad school is crazier...doing a Ph.D. in MD right now. More power to you. Drop me an email and we'll sign you up for our family blog (squirrelzipper at yahoo dot com).

Arielle said...

Hey Don,
We just got your announcement in the mail. Congratulations!! I love where you are having your reception, that's pretty sweet. Why are you getting married in Texas? Did your mom move?

Anonymous said...

Donny and Maggie,

Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys. You are perfect for each other. I look forward to many fun games nights in the future.

Love,

Justin (Rick) and Chrissy

Anonymous said...

Dear Don,

I haven't met you yet but have known Melissa/Maggie for some time. She used to work as one of my assistants transcribing Chaucer's manuscripts, with a special emphasis on his Monk's Tale (ask her about that exciting group of tragedies!)

To say that Maggie is the greatest person in the "whole entire world" is tautological, as I'm sure Maggie will let you know!

All best wishes to you both, Paul Thomas

Anonymous said...

WE LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING DON - SORRY TO NOT BE ABLE TO GET TO RECEPTION SINCE IT IS SO CLOSE (ST. GEORGE) BUT WE WILL MAKE IT A POINT TO RENEW AQUAINTANCE WITH MELESSA AND MEET DON I SUSPECT SOME OF OUR KIDS MAY BE ABLE TO GET DOWN - WE WILL LET THEM KNOW. THANKS FOR INVITATION AND PICTURES.CONGRADULATIONS!GREAT UNCLE ROLAND (doesn't that sound family historyish) - and Carol

Anonymous said...

Donny and Maggie,
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm so excited for you guys! Lots of love!

Aaron Kopp
Marcela Vieira